Davis Immigration Law Office practices mainly in the area of Canadian immigration for all backgrounds and cultures and also assists Canadians with entry for business and personal reasons into the United States of America.
Canada Immigration Services
TEMPORARY PERMITSThere are three types of temporary permits one can attain. Visitor permit, student permit, or workers permit.
- Visitor – if you want to be a visitor then you must apply for this document
- Student – in order to attend an educational institution you must obtain a study permit
- Worker – you must obtain a work permit in order to be able to work at a job
PERMANENT RESIDENT/LANDED IMMIGRANTOPTIONS FOR SKILLED AND LOW SKILLED WORKERS AS WELL AS BUSINESS MANAGERS/OWNERS In each province, there are PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMS available. If you are a high skilled or low skilled worker, or you have at least four years of business management or ownership experience, you ought to consider the various options available within the mandates provided by the many PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMS. You can visit our website to review each of these programs. Click the link entitled: LIVING IN CANADA and go to LIST OF IMMIGRATION PROGRAMS OFFERED BY EACH PROVINCE IN CANADA. Here you will find the details of each provincial program. If you are a business, click here to learn more about hiring foreign workers in Canada.
WORK PERMITSYou may require a work permit in order to participate in the workforce while attending University or College, or after graduating from University or College. Sometimes you may need approval from Service Canada other government entities so you can obtain exemptions from this requirement. A work permit may be acquired while your Provincial Nominee Program application is being processed. Some work permits you can obtain at a Port of Entry in Canada and others you can obtain at a Canadian Consulate Office outside of Canada. Don’t hesitate to contact us for advice.
BUSINESS APPLICATIONS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCEThe primary requirement is business management experience of at least three years. Under the Provincial Nominee Program of any given province, the minimum net worth is much lower than that of the federal requirements
- If you’re a Federal Entrepreneur, you’ll need minimum net worth of at least $300,000.00CAD.
- Investor – federal or Quebec. The federal or Quebec investor options are particularly beneficial for those class of persons who have a net worth in excess of $800,000CAD and who possess significant management or ownership work experience.
PERMANENT RESIDENCE CARD APPLICATIONSWe assist persons looking to obtain a permanent resident card. There are many exceptions to the requirement of having a physical presence in Canada, so it is possible to obtain this document even if you’ve been outside of Canada for a duration of time. Ask us about your eligibility today.
FAMILY OPTIONSYour family can immigrate to Canada based on the following stipulations…
- Sponsoring a spouse, common law or conjugal partner including same sex partners.
- Sponsoring children both adopted and biological, grandparents, parents.
- Citizenship for children of Canadian parents born outside Canada.
- Citizenship applications for persons who meet physical presence rules under current law.
REFUGEE APPLICATIONSGiven the sensitive nature of individuals attempting entry to Canada as a refugee, applications are processed either abroad or inland at a port of entry. For information on applying for refugee status, David Davis Law is happy to offer advice.
HUMANITARIAN & COMPASSIONATE APPLICATIONSHumanitarian & compassionate applications are available to all persons. They are very useful if you’re already in Canada and do not fit into any provincial nominee categories. They are also very useful even if you’re already applying for the pre-removal risk assessment. To find out if you’re eligible, fill out the questionnaire.
CANADIAN LAND BORDER AND PRE-FLIGHT INSPECTIONSThese options are available to individuals who are:
- Applying for TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMITS to overcome criminal or other type of inadmissibility.
- Applying for REHABILITATION – this is sometimes available at ports of entry but more often than not available at Visa Offices outside of Canada
- Assisting persons in a serious relationship with a Canadian citizen who are seeking temporary resident visas to visit with their family member in Canada at ports of entry.
US Immigration & Citizenship Services
FAMILY BASED IMMIGRATION OPTIONSThere are three family based immigration options available to those looking to immigrate to the USA.
- K1 visa – for fiancé sponsorships but then must marry applicant within 90 days or arrival in USA.
- K3 visa – for parties already married; can obtain ability to re-enter USA multiple times.
EMPLOYMENT BASED IMMIGRATION OPTIONSThere are a variety of employment based visa options based on the nature of your business and the type of work you plan to do in the USA. Note that any of these temporary visas can have their statuses adjusted to green card should a family member or business sponsor you.
- H1B visa for temporary workers for a maximum length of 7 years.
- H2B visas for farm workers or other type of labour in high demand.
- L1A or L1B visas for intercompany transfers to maximum length of 7 years or 5 years respectively.
- TN Visas under NAFTA – business visitors or professional categories
- E visas – very useful for persons who are making a substantial investment into a new business.
- O and P visas for Athletes and Entertainers.
- R visas for religious personnel.
- B visas for business or pleasure purpose visitors.
CITIZENSHIP SERVICESWe provide a range of citizenship services for those looking to immigrate to the US including:
- Naturalization applications.
- Derivative applications depending on parentage.
- Applying for US passports at embassy abroad.
BORDER ISSUESWe offer our services to those who are applying for advance parole and waiver of criminal inadmissibility, and those that are applying for certain work permits at land borders or pre-flight inspection if a Canadian citizen.
For your convenience, we’ve prepared a detailed questionnaire to collect important information about your background. It is very important to provide our office with a complete set of answers. This information is the foundation upon which we make an informed decision regarding the best possible route for you to be able to immigrate to Canada.
If you are a Canadian citizen and seeking our advice on how best to enter USA for business or pleasure purposes, then we ask that you please complete this questionnaire as well. The questions may be geared towards immigrating to Canada, but the Department of Homeland Security requires the same information concerning your background in terms of education and work experience.
Federal Skilled Worker Program Eligibility
There are a number of criteria that must be met in order for your application to be eligible for processing. Please review the following list of criteria to make sure your application is eligible. You are required to meet any one of the following
- Have an offer of arranged employment, OR
- Be a foreign national living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
- Be a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of following occupations.
List of Occupations 01
List of Occupations 02
0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers
0311: Managers in Health Care
0631: Restaurant and Food Service Managers
0632: Accommodation Service Managers
0711: Construction Managers
1111: Financial Auditors and Accountants
2113: Geologists, Geochemists and Geophysicists
2143: Mining Engineers
2144: Geological Engineers
2145: Petroleum Engineers
3111: Specialist Physicians
3112: General Practitioners and Family Physicians
3141: Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists
3143: Occupational Therapists
3151: Head Nurses and Supervisors
3152: Registered Nurses
3215: Medical Radiation Technologists
3233: Licensed Practical Nurses
4131: College and Other Vocational Instructors
7213: Contractors and Supervisors, Pipefitting Trades
7215: Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
7217: Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews
7241: Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)
7242: Industrial Electricians
7252: Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers
7265: Welders and Related Machine Operators
7312: Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
7371: Crane Operators
7372: Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction
8221: Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying
8222: Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
9212: Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities
Get in touch with us
For more information or to speak to a professional about immigrating to the U.S., contact us at 204-817-0198 or fill out a request for information.